Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Hole in the Bucket

I was first introduced to the folksong "There's A Hole in the Bucket" by my uncle. The version I heard was by Harry Belafonte and Odetta Holmes. The song is basically a dialog between characters Henry and Liza with Liza starting off by asking Henry to go fetch water. He replies there's a hole in the bucket, to which she suggests he fix it with straw which he then says is too long. This leads to a series of exchanges where every time Liza has a suggestion to remedy a problem, Henry finds an excuse not to do it and this ends up leading us all back to the bucket where they first began essentially getting nowhere. It's worth a listen:

There has been a hole in the bucket that is my life.

And I have been making excuses. And I have not been moving forward in my life, essentially going nowhere.

Call me Henry.

With 2013 fresh upon us, it's time I stop making excuses, and fix my bucket so I can fill it with water and get moving.

It's also funny how some songs just speak to us.

My music tastes are varied, from smooth jazz; Dave Koz, Chris Botti, Anita Baker, to a tiny bit harder; Journey, Cher, Cyndi Lauper. Anything much heavier (or overtly sexual) doesn't really reach out to me. I had some personal issues with some of Madonna's material in the 80's and have not truly gravitated toward Lady Gaga, though I applaud both women for their support for the LGBT community. So, I was surprised when one of P!nk's newest songs really made me sit up, take notice and wipe away a tear, or two.

So, I'm making it my anthem for 2013;

Try, by P!nk
From The Truth About Love

(Chorus)
Where there is desire,
There is going to be a flame,
Where there is a flame,
Someone's bound to get burned;
But, just because it burns,
Doesn't mean you're going to die,
You've gotta get up and try try try
Gotta get up and try try try
You gotta get up and try try try

And while I do admit to having been twice burned (and now thrice shy) in love, that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to live a life that is full, and maybe entertain the idea of love. I also admit that love is not the only area of my life where I have been making excuses. Finances are improving, slowly, but improving just the same. My house is slowly beginning to reflect my personality and decorating style. I will still need to devote some time to prepping for teaching, after all, it is not a 6 hour a day job like so many people think. So, I need to stop making excuses and get out and meet people. And just LET things be.

So, with a little money coming in, my house needing a bit less attention, I will make an attempt to fill the hole in my bucket and get out and live.

After all, all I can do is try.




2 comments:

  1. Now you have the rythm! Trying is a start. Next step: Just do it! (That's what I'm telling myself more often these days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nancy, just doing it is the next step. Like Nike says, "Just Do It!"

      Delete