Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving

I have always liked Thanksgiving more than Christmas, not necessarily for the food but for the meaning behind it; giving thanks for our blessings. So, in this season of giving thanks, I think I will.

First, I am thankful for the typical things. I am grateful for being alive, being healthy and reasonably sane.

But, I am also grateful for some atypical blessings.

I am thankful for my divorce because I am moving out of an unhappy situation and along a path to peace and happiness, and discovering more of who I am. And loving him.

I am thankful for my mortgage because I have a home to come home to. And I am building credit, post-divorce.

I am thankful I have ninety-five students to teach, so I can pay the mortgage and the bills, put fuel in my car, and go out, occasionally.

I am thankful for the financial sacrifices I have had to make to prove I can, and will, survive.


I am thankful for the cat box I clean twice a day because I have a loving cat to keep me company.

I am thankful for my two spoiled Pomeranians with extreme separation anxiety who love me all the more when I come home.

I am thankful for the probing, sometimes painful, questions my friends ask to push me further along in my journey.

I am thankful for Mother Earth who has provided me with all I need for my survival; the materials for the clothing on my back, the food in my stomach and the shelter I sleep in.

I am thankful for the Universe who has provided me with the opportunities to learn what a dynamic man I am.

I am thankful to the Universe for providing me the difficult and often painful lessons to teach me to overcome adversity and learn what a strong man I am.


But, I am most grateful to the Universe for taking care of me.

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed/interested in what you have to say in your posts, Jeff. Thank you for sharing. This is good stuff, you're getting down deep, soul searching stuff. I appreciate it. We're all in that similar space. So many can relate to what you have to say. :) g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading, and for your input. If I am helping someone else, then that is another reason for my struggles and growth.

    Thank you again,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete